Organic Spinach Ribbons Topped With Smoked Mozzarella

Organic Spinach Ribbons Topped With Smoked Mozzarella
ORGANIC SPINACH RIBBONS DRESSED WITH MY HOMEMADE FRESH HERB / FETA MARINARA & WHOLE ORGANIC MUSHROOMS - SPRINKLED WITH GRATED FRESH SMOKED MOZZARELLA

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What Happens When "Social Hour" Isn't ...."Social?"

SOCIAL:
adjective
marked by or passed in pleasant companionship with friends or associates



HOUR:
noun
the 24th part of the day : 60 minutes

Basically, we started "Social Hour" at the B&B to add to the already phenomenal value we offer our guests and to offer our guests something no other B&B in E-Town offers ~ a true, full-blown Southern hospitality "Social Hour."  Oh, and we wanted our guests to have FUN!  Oh, and we wanted out guests to be SOCIAL!

"Social Hour" is held on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons at five o'clock ~ delicious hors d'oeuvres, cocktails and fresh lemon iced tea are served as (usually) jazz flows through the inn.  Guests can chose to mingle with other guests and talk about the adventures and discoveries they experienced earlier in the day, "get the goodies" and find a secluded spot on one of the verandas or for the ultimate privacy, "get the goodies" and go back up to their suite.  The choice is theirs!

SO...what happens when "Social Hour" isn't "Social?"  Well, let me put it this way...I'd rather be in Hell with a broke back.  I was introduced to that charming saying by a couple who stayed at the inn a few years ago (and who have since been back) and who, frankly, make me LAUGH OUT LOUD.  And, I mean...OUT LOUD! 

I remember a "Social Hour" last Fall where we served divine meatballs (my Grandmother's recipe), homemade roasted garlic bread, and a butter lettuce salad tossed with candied cranberries, blood red oranges and toasted almonds.  I remember we served hot buttered rum.  I remember a guest from Texas monopolized the entire "Social Hour" by talking politics.  I remember she became more animated as the number of buttered rums she consumed increased.  I remember 7 other guests (one of them being her husband) looking at her like she had 3 heads. The look on MY face ~ I can't even begin to imagine.  People have always told me I would FAIL at poker b/c I "speak with my expressions.  Fortunately, we were not playing poker that day.  However, the food was a flaming success! :)

I remember a "Social Hour" where we served bacon wrapped scallops with a side of fresh pineapple habanero salsa, roasted red pepper / peppered bacon / gruyere cheese muffins, and juicy watermelon drizzled with a balsamic reduction.  I remember we served my ROCKIN' fresh fruit sangria.  I remember a guest, who was not quite playing with a full deck, brought her photo album of her dog (a miniature chihuahua named LuLu) dressed in various colorful, lacy outfits to share with the other guests.  I remember I started coughing to mask my laughter.  My laughter that was due to the expressions on the other guests' faces.  I remember one couple excusing themselves saying, "we need to call our nanny to see how our son is doing."  Ummm, that couple had no children.  However, the food was a flaming success! :)

I remember a "Social Hour" where we served bite-sized barbecue sandwiches, paper thin sliced red potato salad, and grilled pineapple skewers.  I remember we served pitchers of cranberry vodka fresh lemon lemonade.  I remember we had eight guests who made me want to go paint a wall and watch the paint dry because, frankly, it would have been more exciting.  I remember one couple arriving and the husband knew the wife of another couple but his wife did not and apparently that was not, as Martha Stewart would say, "a good thing."  I remember wifey glaring at Miss. PYT across the room with shooting daggers.  I remember thinking ...there is a major "story" here!  However, the food was a flaming success! :)

SO, let's talk food!  Today's Social Hour is our vine ripened fresh garlic bruschetta on fresh garlic rubbed bread, watermelon skewers with a reduced balsamic reduction for dipping, and NY Super Sharp Cheddar & Monterey Jack cheeses with water crackers.  We're also serving my ROCKIN' fresh fruit sangria (a guest favorite!), a copper tub filled with a variety of iced beers and fresh lemon iced tea.

SO, how about my bruschetta recipe?!?  Here it is!  It's super fresh, super healthy and super delicious! Go make some faboosh bruschetta and raise a glass ....in hopes that our "Social Hour" today is "social!"  

LISA's BRUSCHETTA

2 vine ripened tomatoes (diced)
1/4 cup purple onion (diced)
2 cloves fresh garlic (diced)
12 turns of fresh cracked pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
2-3 tosses of sea salt
3-4 shakes of extra light virgin olive oil
1 handful of fresh parsley (minced)
1 small loaf of bread ~ your choice (I use sourdough cocktail bread)
  ...brush with EVOO and pepper - bake at 400 for 14 minutes  ~ remove and set aside until ready to dress

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour so the flavors can macerate.  Top your bread with the mixture and DIG IN! :)

OkraLogic . A Girl Cook
"Always Push The Parsley!"

No comments:

Post a Comment